Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 21:17:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 16:20, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> One other thing, Since it's doing port forwarding, I realise that the
> xterm window which is doing the ssh -C -N command must stay open. it's a
> nuisance, but hey, it works.

I run my mail client remotely over a ssh connection.  I created a script
on my system at home and a launcher on my laptop that executes ssh with
the address of my connection at home followed by the script name.  ssh
will execute that command after it has made the connection to the remote
host.

In my case it even pops up a nice little dialog asking for my password
for the ssh portion.  Shortly after that I get the splash screen for the
email client and everything works great.

When I first started using ssh I also manually logged in then started
the apps via the window.  But the launcher works just fine and no extra
windows laying around.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.
		-- Mary Poppins