Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Tue Jun 15 21:25:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> https would add additional Overhead though. It's not mentioned, does
> cavader actually mounts that as a shared drive/folder?

It's true that https would add the overhead of SSL. If you don't care
about your data being intercepted and read by others, don't use https. I
would classify that as 'A Bad Idea' however. The overhead of SSL is not
significant with modern CPUs, and the bandwidth percentage is not that big
a deal either. If you're in _exceptionally_ low bandwidth situations (e.g.
mobile phone/9600/14400 baud territory) then you would need to assess that
more closely.

Cadaver is a webdav client for unix command line. It functions similarly
to a command line FTP client in look and feel. It doesn't mount the
filesystem as a shared drive/folder.

However, you were talking about _windows_ earlier, no ? If you're mounting
filesystems on a unix box there are far wider (and richer) choices
available to you.

Cheers,

Al