SATA vs SCSCI RAID and LINUX

Mark Susol | Ultimate Creative Media msusol at ultimatecreativemedia.com
Tue Jun 15 21:27:50 UTC 2004

I have a single 1U server currently running FC1 with one really active site.
I have a 2nd server (rental) that I want to setup on my own hardware but not
the 1U server as its more of a desktop setup than true server.

So I'm looking for my next hard core server setup for web hosting..I want
drive redundancy and and I want it running with Linux. Fedora or SuSe and
using WebMin to manage it.

I would want RAID-1 for mirroring ..but SATA costs << SCSCI costs and some
say SATA is about as good as SCSCI now.

Supermicro SuperServer I see a lot at the NOC. And the CEO of one company I
spoke to at the NOC said they run many of their hosting servers off a
SuperMicro system with Linux and WebMin. So I have to have some idea of what
to plan for.

SD2-1202C 2U SCSIx8 Server - Hot Swap
vs
SD2-1201C 2U SATAx8 Server - Hot Swap

http://www.serversdirect.com/system_dept.asp?dept_id=SD-012

Now if I have RAID-1 setup, does it do mirroring on all 8 drives if
installed? I wouldn't need but 2 drives to start right? I guess I'd have to
have a really hard hit server to need all 8 installed.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON LINUX and SATA-RAID specifically what
Distro are they using with what MoBO and chipset.

Mark Susol
u l t i m a t e ­ CreativeMedia
Web | Print | CD Media | eCommerce
www.ultimatecreativemedia.com