Nvidia install error

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 15 23:19:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:38:34AM +0300, bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi wrote:

> I tried to install nvidia-drivers but got the following message:
>
> ERROR: The kernel header file
>        '/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/build/include/linux/modversions.h' does not exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header files in /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/build/include' have not been configured.
>
> How to fix this?

Also, Remember that nVidia has yet to release a driver
that is compatible with the 4K stacks in FC2 kernels.

Assuming that 4K stacks are not an issue, what does rpm tell us about
kernel packages:

     rpm -qa | grep kern

If you see a mismatch kernel-source and kernel be advised that
kernel-source package has changed names to kernel-sourcecode.  Install
kernel-sourcecode to update kernel-source at this point in FC2 time.

On FC2 locate and rpm tell me.
$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/linux/modversions.h
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.44

On FC1 I see:
$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/include/linux/modversions.h
kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/linux/modversions.h glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.36

So there is a FC1 and FC2 difference...

Looking deeper on FC2  I see a hint:
    $ uname -r
    2.6.6-1.435
    $ cat /usr/include/linux/modversions.h
    #error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
    #error but rather headers from an appropriate kernel-source package.
    #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
    #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include
    #error to build against the currently-running kernel.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l