Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 00:08:44 UTC 2004

Erik Espinoza wrote:
> <sarcasm> how bout we just go to windowsupdate.com like the
> rest of the world </sarcasm>

Don Russell replied:
> I know you're being sarcastic, but, yes, I want an up2date
> service that gets all the available updates and installs them
> in one try.

Markku Kolkka commented:
> Then you want Red Hat Professional Workstation or Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux with the paid RHN service.

And, honestly, you *don't* want Windows Update. It needs at least three
attempts before it will get you fully updated from a fresh install (with
reboots in-between), and it has a known tendency to break both MS and
non-MS software. And you can't revert all the updates without
reinstalling.

It's fashionable to knock Microsoft because it's Microsoft. But in this
case, we don't need to: the world's most powerful software firm has
placed a large amount of their credibility (and a lot of money) into
the running of this service. In up2date, yum and apt, Red Hat have
*three* different update mechanisms, all of which beat Microsoft's
finest.

Of course, it could always be better.

James.
--
E-mail address: james@ | "There are some benefits to high blood pressure",
westexe.demon.co.uk    | Bob mused as another mosquito exploded.