FC2 Issues - this is surely FAKE!

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 02:07:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:54:11 +0000, Christensen Tom wrote:

First of all, nobody's pretending the Fedora project is some kind of 100%
solid, enterprise level distribution, suitable for mission critical
application, but your *degree* of dissent is wholly unrealistic, and
frankly, not entirely believable.

> I would just like to publicly voice my complete and utter disatisfaction
> with you people.

Whom are you addressing? This is a mailing list for Fedora Core *users*,
not developers, maintainers, packagers or QA people, and it *certainly* is
not a list for Red Hat engineers or management. Anyone from those groups
*might* read this list, but what you are doing is akin to walking into PC
World and screaming "Windows ate my hard drive ... I'm going to sue you
all", shortly before being driven away in a white van.

> Redhat has been my linux of choice for 6 years, and I appreciated FC1

Repeat after me, "Fedora Core is not Red Hat", it is only *sponsored* by
Red Hat.

The first 3 sentences on http://fedora.redhat.com states quite clearly:

  "The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
  source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
  eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
  product of Red Hat, Inc."

If Burger King sponsored the SuperBowl, and your team lost, would you
blame Burger King?

> but since I can't install FC2 because of 2 very huge bugs (the dual
> booting bug, and the Asus Mobo bug)

Both of these issues have already been addressed.

> that were known well in advance of release, and were not fixed, and
> remain unfixed

You managed to post to this list, but you didn't manage to read its
archives?

> I will never be using or recommending a redhat product ever again.

Yes, but what about Fedora?

I wonder what distro you'll be using after you've posted similar rants to
the Mandrake, Suse, and Debian lists? Gentoo perhaps, or maybe just
building your own Linux From Scratch. Maybe you should try it, then you'd
realise what an idiot you've made of yourself, ranting inanely about
relatively trivial (and short lived) bugs in a vast codebase, that takes
an incredible amount of hard work and dedication to maintain.

> You have seriously destroyed a good product and a good name

Which product? Has Fedora Core 1 been destroyed? Red Hat 9.0? RHEL?

An experimental distribution, based on bleeding edge security enhancements
from the NSA, and a next generation kernel, is released under the name
Fedora Core 2. It has some bugs ... that affects you personally ... and
*that* "destroys" the whole future of Fedora, Red Hat, and probably the
world as we know it ... right?

You come on like some big cheese manager, but you talk like a twelve year
old. Please find your brain, then engage it, before discrediting the work
of an entire community of Linux enthusiasts and developers, based on
trivialities associated with an experimental release.

> by not following the #1 tenet of open source software, namely RELEASE
> WHEN ITS READY!!!

Once again, from the first sentence on:

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule

   "We have set a very aggressive schedule for Fedora Core 2."

They want us to "test" bleeding edge technologies, and they want them
tested *early* because they are *pushing* that technology. Did you even
*read* any of that website?

> How could you let 2 bugs of this magnitude go completely unresolved
> through 3 test releases and the final release when you knew about both
> of them immediately after test 1 was released in February??!!

You are absolutely right. Next time we're working our way through test
releases, we will drop everything, stop fixing the thousands of other
bugs, and put your two upstream kernel/parted bugs right at the top of the
list, thereby letting everything else slide, while we wait a couple of
months for Alan or Linus to finish scratching their heads and chewing on
Asus motherboards.

We'll have the next release ready by 2012; coincidentally about the same
time as Windows Longhorn.

That OK for you?

> Get your act together re-release new ISOs that fix these 2 problems
> within 2 weeks or ...

"I'll blow you away, mother$&*")!"?

Oh yes Sir, right away Sir, anything you say Sir.

No, how about "... or I'll sue"? That would be funny:

   You: "Your Honour, I wish to sue the Open Source Community"

   Judge: "What is the basis of your complaint?"

   You: "That a community based, Open Source, GNU/Linux Operating System
   Distribution, that I obtained and used at absolutely no cost, contained
   at lease two bugs, that I'm aware of, and I didn't like it."

   Judge: "Do you have any evidence to support your case?"

   You: "They admit liability, your Honour"

   Judge: "Very well; I'll need citations from all the defendants."

   Court Assistant: "Call the first defendant!"

   ... 20 years later ...

   Court Assistant's Grandson: "Call defendant number 112,474,419!"

   Meanwhile, the Judge, on the verge of retirement, sits disinterested at
   the back of the courtroom, playing "Unreal Tournament 2024 Linux", on a
   200 Terahertz "Fedora Core 62 <Ummagumma>" widescreen PDA.

> you are costing redhat an estimated 50k/yr in licenses that I control.

So you work in Purchasing Logistics? Hmm, well get out your calculator out
and add this together:

Fedora Core 1   $0.00
Fedora Core 2  +$0.00
               =$?.??

So what you are saying is, that because you found 2 bugs in an OSS
product that is sponsored by a commercial company, you are going to
"punish" the sponsor by using your corporate position of influence to
dissuade your company from buying an unrelated product from the sponsor?

I'm just wondering which scenario is more likely, that you are a complete
figment of your own imagination, or that your employer is blissfully
ignorant of how dangerously under-qualified you are.

> We will be moving to Novell/Suse. Thank you, Tom Christensen

That *is* a truly inspired management decision, Mr. Tom Christensen. SuSE
Linux isn't even remotely similar to Fedora or Red Hat. They don't use
those nasty kernel things or anything. You won't be using the same window
managers, applications, tools or games either. In fact it isn't even
really GNU/Linux you know. No, the OS is actually a joint venture between
Microsoft and Apple, that they've been keeping secret for years. No more
problems for you then. Here's a quick preview of what your new shiny
Desktop will look like:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/teletubbiesXP.jpg

Off you go then ...

-
K.

Beware the Lizard, for he hath a pointy tongue.