[FC2] Update

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 16 05:23:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:21:38PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 14.06.2004 schrieb antonio montagnani um 17:00:
>
> > Just updated from Fedora Core 1 and struggling with some problems .
> > One of the very first is that as I started a system update the red
> > window after checking all packets, start freezing, I do not see any
> > advancement line but I see a huge traffic on the modem....nothing else
> > is working (and firewall is on!!)
>
> up2date is getting the header files ... let it run.

Here is my short list of things that I had to tidy up
on a system that had been updated from FC1 to FC2.

You might find more things to check and fix....

$ cat FC1-FC2-adjustments

Fix dangling symbolic link in /etc/X11
   # pwd
   /etc/X11
   # ls -l X; file X
   # rm X
   # ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg X

The new X11 config file has the preferred name xorg.conf
while the old name works this tidy things up.

   mv XF86Config xorg.conf

Xkb error at login can be fixed.
   # pwd
   /etc/X11
   vi xorg.conf

   #  diff xorg.conf XF86Config-FC1
   63c63
   <       Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
   ---
   >       Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"

Security level stuff is not cleanly updated
If necessary remove redhat-config rpms.

   # ls /etc/sysconfig/*secur*
   /etc/sysconfig/redhat-config-securitylevel.rpmsave
   /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel

Resolve difference... and then remove redhat-config-securitylevel.rpmsave
mostly the differences involve ports expressed as numbers .vs. names
i.e. sendmail is port 25.

/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources is not updated
and my old hand modified FC1 sources will not do the right thing

        mv sources sources-FC1-for-reference
        mv sources.rpmnew sources
        up2date		  # at this point in time there are updates -- get them

        # look for orphans
        up2date --show-orphans
        # tidy up, are there any famous sites in "sources-FC1-for-reference"?

Check /etc/yum.conf for the same issues I had with
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources above.  I was paranoid and did not have to
change things.  Partly because I had not tinkered with yum.conf

       # this is 99% unnecessary, YMMV
       # as long as up2date is working this makes sense.
        mv /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf-reference
        rpm -e yum
        up2date install yum
        diff /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf-reference
	#  if all is fine remove /etc/yum.conf-reference

/etc/sysconfig/selinux was not created
here is a good template since I wanted SELinux
Start in permissive mode! others may want SELINUX disabled:

        # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
        # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
        #       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
        #       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
        #       disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
        SELINUX=permissive

Some X library problems cropped up after a week and were fixed by
reinstalling X libs.  I suspect library path, links or SELinux
interactions.  I did not have any problem on my 'virgin FC2 box'.
ssh errors or X-login screen errors make it obvious

        rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-libs
        up2date install xorg-x11-libs

The kernel-source package has changed names to kernel-sourcecode after
the second kernel update.  up2date and yum will not follow this change
unless one installs kernel-sourcecode from the command line.  If you
have kernel-source loaded this matters.

Reminder to self.  Search bugzilla for these and file
bugs if no one has yet.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l