Cygwin access Xterm

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Wed Jun 16 06:03:08 UTC 2004

Monday, June 14, 2004 10:10 AM David Carter asked:

> Does anyone have a good writeup on configuring Cygwin to
> access Fedora FC1 on SSH or VNC?  I would like to see the
> same desktop as remotely

Good choice! With Cygwin it's almost too easy. ;->

On the windows side, you need to install X in Cygwin. It's the second to
last option in the installer and was not selected by default the last
time I did an install a couple of months ago.

On the FC1 side, you need to run gdmsetup (System Settings -> Login
Screen) and set the 'Enable XDMCP' checkbox on the SDMCP tab. You will
then need to restart X. Logging out and then back in will do.

Finally, from a Cygwin command line, run 'X --query <system name>'.
You'll get a full screen X session from the remote machine.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
Eric<at>ediamond[dot]net