Suspend/sleep/hibernate on Dell i8200 with FC2

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Jun 16 18:13:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 14:02, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> First, I have to admit that I don't really understand the difference
> between APM and ACPI.

Well I've now read:

ACPI-HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ACPI-HOWTO/index.html

Battery-Powered-HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Battery-Powered/index.html

Laptop-HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html

I think I now understand the difference between ACPI and APM. However,
the above documents are a little out of date and don't really cover
what's in the latest kernels with regard to ACPI.

> It seems that both are started as services,
> although whilst apmd returns OK at boot it seems somewhat silent on its
> status:
>
> # service acpid status
> acpid (pid 2248) is running...
> # service apmd status
> #
>
> Do I actually want both running at the same time?

Does anyone know the answer to this? My clean install of FC2 enabled
both of these services -- I didn't:

# chkconfig --list acpid
acpid           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

# chkconfig --list apmd
apmd            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com