Suspend/sleep/hibernate on Dell i8200 with FC2

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Jun 16 20:39:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 21:15, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Actually, based on this user's experience (googled -> Linux + inspiron
> 8200)
>
> http://jpstrand.homeip.net/user/delli8200/delli8200.html
>
> APM works better than acpi. Suspending works using APM compared to ACPI.

Yes, I'd already seen that page. But if you notice it was last updated
in May 2003. It seems that the last time he tried ACPI the 2.6 kernel
hadn't even come out yet, and I know that there have been significant
improvements since then. I believe that is why it is now compiled into
Fedora kernels and enabled by default, and also why I wanted to give it
a try.

> > > It's enabled for it. but only 1 is working. Usually for FC(1 | 2) you
> > > have to pass acpi=on as a kernel parameter before acpi kicks in.
> >
> > I think that I read that in FC2 acpi=on is the default, and that you
> > actually have to specifically switch it off with acpi=off. Can someone
> > confirm that?
>
> Hmm.. try this.. I may be wrong, see if you get anyhing under
>
> /proc/acpi

There's lots and lots of stuff under /proc/acpi:

$ ls -R /proc/acpi/
/proc/acpi/:
ac_adapter  battery  embedded_controller  fan             processor
alarm       button   event                info            sleep
asus        dsdt     fadt                 power_resource  thermal_zone

/proc/acpi/ac_adapter:
AC

/proc/acpi/ac_adapter/AC:
state

/proc/acpi/asus:

/proc/acpi/battery:
BAT0  BAT1

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0:
alarm  info  state

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1:
alarm  info  state

/proc/acpi/button:
lid  power  sleep

/proc/acpi/button/lid:
LID

/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID:
info  state

/proc/acpi/button/power:
PBTN

/proc/acpi/button/power/PBTN:
info

/proc/acpi/button/sleep:
SBTN

/proc/acpi/button/sleep/SBTN:
info

/proc/acpi/embedded_controller:

/proc/acpi/fan:

/proc/acpi/power_resource:
PADA

/proc/acpi/power_resource/PADA:
state

/proc/acpi/processor:
CPU0

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0:
info  limit  power  throttling

/proc/acpi/thermal_zone:
THM

/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM:
cooling_mode  polling_frequency  state  temperature  trip_points

I notice that there is /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state. I guess I could
just try shutting the lid and seeing what happens!

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com