FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!! - (not really)

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 16 23:27:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:07:43PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:07:43 -0400
> From: Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at insight.rr.com>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!! - (not really)
>
> I don't think that going from FC1 to FC2 is that deadly. I did have the
> below problems.
>
> 1) error with XKB -- solution to edit xorg.conf
> 2) acpid error - solution to run "up2date acpid", then after program
> installed, run "service acpid start" (could have rebooted, acpid added
> to services to be started on system startup.)
> 3) Many errors with 3rd party programs needing removed from one source,
> then reinstalled from another repo libraries and all. (multimedia)
>
> Other than those problems, it was successful to upgrade, IMO.
> With the new 2.6 kernel, different X server, new GNOME, KDE, scanner
> module not included with kernel 2.6 and "alsa vs. OSS", this is a great
> release.
>
> I do think that my clean install system was the best setup version.
> Fresh installations seem to have lower problems, no old config files to
> worry about.
>
> Jim

Good stuff Jim.
Here is my short check list for a FC1 to FC2  update that might help dan.

Fix dangling symbolic link in /etc/X11
   # pwd
   /etc/X11
   # ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg X

The new X11 config file has the prefered name xorg.conf
while the old name works this tidys things up.

   mv XF86Config xorg.conf

Xkb error at login can be fixed.
   # pwd
   /etc/X11
   vi xorg.conf

   #  diff xorg.conf XF86Config-FC1
   63c63
   <       Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
   ---
   >       Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"

Security level stuff is not cleanly updated
If necessary remove redhat-config rpms.

   # ls /etc/sysconfig/*secur*
   /etc/sysconfig/redhat-config-securitylevel.rpmsave
   /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel

Resolve difference... and then remove redhat-config-securitylevel.rpmsave
mostly the differences involve ports expressed as numbers .vs. names
i.e. sendmail is port 25.

/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources is not updated
and FC1 will not do the right thing

	mv sources sources-FC1-for-reference
	mv sources.rpmnew sources
	up2date	# at this point in time there are updates -- get them

	# look for orphans
	up2date --show-orphans

Check /etc/yum.conf for the same issues we had with
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources above.  I was paranoid
and did not have to change things.  Partly because
I had not tinkered with yum.conf
	mv /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf-reference
	rpm -e yum
	up2date install yum
	diff /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf-reference

/etc/sysconfig/selinux was not created
here is a good template since I want SELinux
I want to start in permissive mode, others may
want it disabled:

	# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
	# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
	#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
	#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
	#       disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
	SELINUX=permissive

Some X library problems fixed by reinstalling X libs.
I suspect library path, links or SELinux interactions.

	rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-libs
	up2date install xorg-x11-libs

kernel-source package has changed names to kernel-sourcecode
after the second kernel update.   up2date and yum will not
follow the change unless one installs kernel-sourcecode
from the command line.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l