ntp sync frequency

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Thu Jun 17 10:19:36 UTC 2004

Nina Pham wrote:

> by default, how often ntpd does the synchronization? can we change the
> time interval? What are the pros and cons running ntpd? Alternative way
> of ntpd is running cron. I think by running cron, we have more control
> over time synchronization.

The unix implementation (linux too) changes the update frequecy as necesary. THe
bandwidth in which it updates can be configured in powers-of-two seconds,
ranging from 2 (4 seconds) to 16 (2^16 seconds, a couple of days). With this, it
also calculates the drift of the internal clock and once the drift is known, the
update frequency is lowered.

The M$Windows 2003 implementation of ntp only updates once a week without any
controll over this frequency.

My idea is to have 1 machine that syncs externally and also acts as a
broadcasting clock on the internal network in a hourly frequency. All other
machines should listen to this broadcast clock.

CBee