custom X cursor question...

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Thu Jun 17 14:30:38 UTC 2004

Charlie Lesh wrote:
> Hey:
>
> I wanted to change the default cursor for X.
> I downloaded the cursor theme I like from
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/download.php3?id=33
> I created a directory '.icons' in my home directory.
> I extracted the download there, and renamed it default.
> I logged out, and logged back in.
>
> OK, here is were its get weird. The custom cursor is working. Except in
> mozilla. I mean, "IN" mozilla, because the custom cursor is seen until
> the pointer actually crosses into the mozilla window, at which point it
> reverts to the default bluecuve cursor. If I move the pointer out of the
> window, or over the titlebar, the custom cursor is back.
>
> What gives?
>
> -charlie

I just did this right now. Don't know if you would be comfortable with
this...

If you are using the Bluecurve icon theme, go to
/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve and inside there is a directory called
"cursors". As root, rename that folder, example to "cursors-original".
Now I'm assuming there is a "cursors" directory in your newly downloaded
jimmac cursor set (I got mine from gnome-look.org). Move the new cursors
directory to /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve. The cursor set should now work
on all applications.

It's a hack, but I have no idea how to do it better as I just did it 5
minutes ago. Anyone have a better suggestion? Anyway to set in
index.theme to force the use of a selected cursor set? Shouldn't this be
configurable in the Themes GUI?

Anyway, hope the first paragraph helps.

dex