Partition Magic Chokes on my Partitions

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems politby at sun.com
Thu Jun 17 15:52:59 UTC 2004

Greetings,

Here's the problem: I have a triple boot system on this laptop - Win XP
Pro, Fedora Core 2, and Sun's Java Desktop System (SuSE based). Here's
the output of the fdisk -l command:

/dev/hda1               1        3335    26785048+   7  HPFS/NTFS
         Windows XP, NTFS
/dev/hda2            3335        4864    12285000    f  W95 Ext'd
(LBA)         Extended, containing hda5,6,7,8
/dev/hda5            3335        4100     6146248+  83  Linux
       Fedora Core 2 / ext3
/dev/hda6            4100        4228     1028128+  82  Linux swap
        Fedora Core 2 swap
/dev/hda7   *        4228        4789     4505728+  83  Linux
       Sun JDS / reiserfs
/dev/hda8            4789        4864      604768+  82  Linux swap
        Sun JDS swap

Al the  partitions except the NTFS one were created in Partition Magic.
I was trying to use Partition Magic to decrease the size of the NTFS
partition, then increase the size of the extended partition and use the
freed up space for an additional Linux partition. But when I start
Partition Magic (it hasn't been run since the 2 Linux systems were
installed) it spits out a bunch of complaints about the partition table.
It offers to fix them but I'm afraid that would do something bad to the
Linux systems.

What could the Linux install programs have done to the partition table
that offends Partition Magic?

/POL