RAID and Partition Size Limits?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Jun 17 15:58:32 UTC 2004

At 09:14 6/17/2004, Kall, Bruce A. wrote:
>I am setting up a (hardware) raid that is 3.5TB.  I would like to use this
>as one partition.

I don't know if there is a limit, but practical experience shows that
backups, restores, and other tasks grow unwieldy and take too long with
partition sizes much above 500GB. If the whole thing comes crashing down,
how long will it take to restore 3.5TB? Perhaps there are other reasons why
you might want to keep that at least as three 1.2TB partitions, 4 900GB
partitions, or even 5 700GB partitions.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

--