Partition Magic Chokes on my Partitions

- - s r b - - srb at softhome.net
Thu Jun 17 16:04:24 UTC 2004

> Greetings,
>
> Here's the problem: I have a triple boot system on this laptop - Win XP
> Pro, Fedora Core 2, and Sun's Java Desktop System (SuSE based). Here's
> the output of the fdisk -l command:
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1               1        3335    26785048+   7  HPFS/NTFS
>          Windows XP, NTFS
> /dev/hda2            3335        4864    12285000    f  W95 Ext'd
> (LBA)         Extended, containing hda5,6,7,8
> /dev/hda5            3335        4100     6146248+  83  Linux
>        Fedora Core 2 / ext3
> /dev/hda6            4100        4228     1028128+  82  Linux swap
>         Fedora Core 2 swap
> /dev/hda7   *        4228        4789     4505728+  83  Linux
>        Sun JDS / reiserfs
> /dev/hda8            4789        4864      604768+  82  Linux swap
>         Sun JDS swap
>

> Al the  partitions except the NTFS one were created in Partition Magic.
> I was trying to use Partition Magic to decrease the size of the NTFS
> partition, then increase the size of the extended partition and use the
> freed up space for an additional Linux partition. But when I start
> Partition Magic (it hasn't been run since the 2 Linux systems were
> installed) it spits out a bunch of complaints about the partition table.
> It offers to fix them but I'm afraid that would do something bad to the
> Linux systems.
>
> What could the Linux install programs have done to the partition table
> that offends Partition Magic?

Is this PM 8.0? Have you ever downloaded the update to 8.0.1? That *may*
help, as I had a similar issue with 8.0 but since upgrading to 8.0.1 haven't
had any problems.

Another thing I remember is not being able to resize the XP NTFS partition.
You might want to proceed with caution with the main NTFS partition that has
XP on it.

HTH.

- - s r b - -
fedora core 2, kernel 2.6.6,