gcc 2.96 on Fedora Core 1

Flavius Copaciu lordxelha at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 16:37:03 UTC 2004

Satish Balay wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Flavius Copaciu wrote:
>
>> Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> The FC1 kernel requires gcc 3.2.3 to compile.  The gcc32 RPM has the
>>> compiler you need.  Then builing d with CC=gcc32 should work.
>>>

>> I am not trying to compile the FC1 kernel, I am trying to compile a
>> 2.4.22 kernel (from kernel.org) patched with the SCTP patch from
>> openss7.org.
>>
>> However, I have installed gcc32 RPM and tried building with CC=gcc32
>> as suggested. No luck, I get the same error. According to the patch
>> maintainer I should be able to successfully compile with gcc 2.96. How
>> do I do that? Well that's may 1.000.000.€ question!
>

> What you are looking for is 'compat-gcc' which is probably already
> installed
> on your FC1 box - and use it with 'make CC=gcc296'
>
> [asterix]: rpm -qf /usr/bin/gcc296 compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.118
> [asterix]: cat /etc/fedora-release Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
> [asterix]:
>

> Satish

Been there, done that. A small quote from my original mail:

This are the things that I have tried:

1.Before compilation I did:
#CC=gcc296
#export CC
#CXX=g++296
#export CXX
Then I followed the normal kernel compilation procedure but this did not
helped.

2.I've tried passing CC=gcc296 to make, like “make CC=gcc296 bzImage”
instead of “make bzImage”. No luck.

3.This one is inspired from an Oracle Application Server installation on
Fedora Core 1. Basically I have renamed gcc and g++ to gcc332 and g++332
and made symbolic links to gcc296 and g++296
#mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc332
#mv /usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/g++332
#ln -s /usr/bin/gcc296 /usr/bin/gcc
#ln -s /usr/bin/g++296 /usr/bin/g++
Then a normal kernel compilation. But this does not help either.

Ideas anyone?

--
Flavius-Ionel I. Copaciu

“There’s no place like 127.0.0.1"

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
= Wernher von Braun =