FC2 - anaconda - bootdisk creation

Thu Jun 17 18:45:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 14:13 -0400, Carnal Ortega wrote:
> Fully featured I believe. If you run mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 `uname
> -r` it should only prompt for 1 floppy disk like in the past even if
> you're running 2.6.x.

As has been discussed frequently on this list (see below for a relevant
example), the distribution 2.6 kernels won't fit on a floppy.
Unfortunately mkbootdisk doesn't make that obvious when you try to
create one, but trying to boot from it will fail.  Has been some
discussion of whether or not a pared-down kernel can be made to fit,
possibly on a larger-than-1440k floppy, but haven't seen any reports of
success.

Can create a grub boot floppy for MBR emergencies - also discussed in
the past.

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:20 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:41:33 -0400, Mark Haney
> <mark.haney at doctordirectory.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:11:26 -0400 (EDT), <sydney at alamfamily.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Everyone:
> > >
> > > Is there a way to boot from a floppy for this version?
> >
> > Are you talking about installing using a boot floppy or just booting FC2
> > with a floppy?  I have a screwy HP that also has XP on it that keeps over
> > writing grub with it's ever-so-useful-save-me-from-myself system restore
> > feature that requires me to use a boot floppy.  It works just fine for me
> > on that box.
>
> what you are going to want to do in that situation is make a boot iso
> for example for the 2.6.5-1.358 uniprocessor kernel:
> mkbootdisk --device /tmp/myboot.iso  2.6.5-1.358
>
> will create a very small myboot.iso that you can use to boot from
> directly into your running fedora system.
>

> -jef

Phil