FC2 Issues

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Thu Jun 17 23:24:56 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 16:46 6/17/2004, Marc Lucke wrote:
>
>> In fact I feel bad.  I wish I could code better and understood Linux
>> more deeply so I could CONTRIBUTE.  Maybe one day I'll get the time
>> aside from the 25 hours an hour I spend working for a dollar (cheap,
>> aren't I?).
>

> Suggestion: you can certainly contribute even if you can't code your
> way out of a paper bag. Help others to solve their problems on this
> list, and you have contributed to Linux and the Fedora community. Find
> good ways to do things, then write clear, accurate, and understandable
> instructions and you have helped hundreds of people.
>
> It feeds on itself, though. <smile> I have been amazed by the fact
> that after I put my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" online and started
> working on a few other documents (mostly the "Small Netserver HOWTO"
> although I also offered to co-author the "Simple Mailserver HOWTO"
> with Benjamin Weiss), over 12,000 visitors have visited
> Simpaticus.com. Now I feel *responsible* for improving and growing the
> documents somehow!
>
> Find some way to feel that you contribute... it's a wonderful feeling,
> really. I may not be all that useful, but I know that I contribute at
> least a little and that makes me happy.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks Rodolfo - thanks for telling me your story.  I've tried to
contribute to helping where I can on this list but I can get a bit
carried away with rubbish things.  I also find myself very pushed for
time so again your suggestion of a webpage/site is also a good one: that
way I can answer people and say "hey, how about going to my FAQ?".

To tell the truth though, I'm flat out like a lizard drinking (an Aussie
phrase meaning very time-starved) just making & learning how all this
wonderful stuff works!  I also find a lot of great stuff via search
engines and I wonder sometimes whether my web page would do it better
than another's.  Perhaps the idea is to put a link to someone else's web
page when they do a good enough job.  Stops wheels from being re-invented.

Okay, so now I can contribute.  Now I just have to steal back some of my
life to do so :-)