FC2: Grub & 4 x SATA w/ Linux SW Raid on a P4P800

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Jun 18 01:29:43 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup SW raid on this system, and luckily didn't hit the
"kernel won't boot" bug reported for this MB.

There are two sata (1 Promise 20378 & 1 Intel ICH5), and one ICH5 PATA
controllers on this motherboard.

The issue seems to be that the fedora installer starts the ata_promise
(promise sata driver) before ata_piix (intel sata driver), but the bios
(and grub after the reboot) sees the disk ordering with the Intel
controller first.

I did a test install with / on SW RAID1, and was able to run "find
/boot/grub/stage1" in the grub command line and run the appropriate
"root (hdX,Y)" and "setup (hdX)" (where X and Y means drive number and
partition number respectively).

The problem is that "find /boot/grub/stage1" hangs from the grub floppy
I created (as specified in the grub info pages with the "dd" command)
with the extra partitions I've setup (what I want for my production
setup) with /boot in raid1, and / on raid5 and three other raid5
partitions as mentioned below.

I have attached a file with /proc/partitions output, and "fdisk -l"
output for each of my four SATA drives.

md0 is /boot as RAID1 on sd[ab]1 (100MB each partition)
md1 is /  as RAID5 on sd[ab]2 and sd[cd]1 (10GB each partition).
The rest of the partitions are /web /ftp and /mail, for the planned
services to be run on this server (but I don't know the default
locations for those in RH/Fedora, so these are temporary names).

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Mike