Java issue

Tom tom at technerve.com
Fri Jun 18 03:04:17 UTC 2004

Quoting Charlie Lesh <clesh76 at comcast.net>:

> Tom wrote:
>
> >I don't know if this is a 2.6 kernel issue, eclipse, or fedora but here
> goes...
> >I've got fc 2 installed with eclipse and j2sdk 1.4.2 from sun.  I'm trying
> >compile a pretty big project, but I've compiled it before, and its always
> >worked.  However now with FC 2, it dies about 30 seconds in saying the
> system
> >is out of resources.  I open eclipse with vmArgs Xmx768M (which is what I've
> >always done, and has worked with redhat9, FC1, and Mandrake 9.1 to compile
> this
> >project).  In top, as soon as I open eclipse the java process is reported as
> >taking up 950-980M of RAM.  I don't know if this happened in other settings,
> >never looked.  Anyway, although top reports that java is taking 950M of ram
> in
> >the process listing, in the summary it reports that only 200M of ram is
> being
> >used by the entire system.  Any ideas?
> >

> Tom:
> Have you tried the beta JDK of 1.5.0? I use eclipse of Fedora 2
> (although I admit my projects are small), and I haven't had this
> problem.  It wouldn't hurt to install it and give it a shot. I'm running
> it on Fedora 2, and it seems to be both faster and more stable, eclipse
> included.
>
> I actually have both 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 installed, and I modify a 'java.sh'
> that I keep in /etc/profile.d to point to one or the other. For now I'm
> sticking with 1.5.0.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> -charlie
>

> --

I installed 1.5.0, and while it does seem faster (shaved 10 seconds off of my
jboss start time), it doesn't compile my project for other reasons.  looks like
the API has changed quite a bit, or something.  Anyway, the project I'm working
on might need to make alot of changes to work with the 1.5 API/VM it looks
like.
Any other ideas?