Three FC1 minor quibbles

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Fri Jun 18 04:07:01 UTC 2004

1) Out of all linux machines in my building (dozens) one machine (with
an intel gigabit ether card) does not have the IFF_MULTICAST flag set.
This seems really odd, since I've seen msgs on the web implying that
pretty much every ether card is multicast capable. Ignore the unset flag
and multicast works fine.

2) Changing the yp/nis server in /etc/yp.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/networking (NISDOMAIN), then doing a /etc/init.d/ypbind
restart fails. It somehow caches the /etc/sysconfig/networking entry,
and ignores changes to the NISDOMAIN entry. Even /sbin/init 1 then
/sbin/init 3 won't pick up the change. Rebooting the machine, however,
does work.

3) Logging into the same account from multiple machines (using dhcp/NIS
and a NFS home directory) somehow breaks gdm or gconfd (I think those
are the daemons) terribly. The machines often refuse to log out of X,
demanding a ctrl-alt-backspace, and logging back in displays a number of
gnome startup errors. rm -rf'ing the contents of /tmp fixes this.

These three things have caught me by suprise lately, so I thought I'd
share :-)

Regards,
John