[FC2] GNOME 2.6: Desktop icons for "Computer" and "Start Here"

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Jun 18 04:27:57 UTC 2004

I have a feeling that this might have been thrashed to death on the
Nautilus list, but does anyone else think that the default "Computer"
and "Start Here" virtual folders should be merged into one? Both of them
tell you about resources available, only one ("Computer") seems limited
to hardware---storage, whilst the other ("Start Here") seems to be more
task orientated---settings and programs. But I'm not sure why they
couldn't just be merged into one. It would also be great to have the
Ximian patches included which gave you a "Printers" icon in there. I
don't really care whether the merge of the two was called "Computer" or
"Start Here" or something else entirely. But I do think that both seems
odd somehow. (Whereas I *don't* think it odd that icons for removable or
hot-pluggable media appear also on the desktop and in "Computer". Maybe
that's just me.) Should comments like this be addressed directly to the
GNOME devs, or is Fedora's GNOME customised at all?

Best, Darren

P.S. Please don't hijack this thread to start another Spatial Nautilus
flame war.

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com