xgterm out of ptys?

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 18 06:56:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:05:41PM -0400, C. Linus Hicks wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 22:47, Gordon Campbell wrote:
> > I've just run across a problem that I need to fix for my department head
> > ASAP.
> >
> > He's planning to use an astronimical image processing package called IRAF
> > that  relies upon xgterm for funtionality. The problem is that when you
> > try to run xgterm on his machine it hesitate, then reports that there are
> > "no more available ptys".
> >
> > I'm completely stumped by this and haven't been able to find anythint
> > recent to help. He's running Core 2, completely up to date, on a Dell
> > Inspiron 8200. I checked my desktop machine, also running up to date Core
> > 2, and it has the identical issue. Two other Core 1 machines don't have
> > the problem.
> >
> > I'd be most grateful for any information or pointers. Thanks.
>
> It may be a permissions issue. Have you checked /dev/pty* to see if they
> are read/write for the user in question?

There was some noise about code that expects older (BSD?) style ptys
by default CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS is not set in FC2.

Do you have a pointer to xgterm source?
   i.e. where did your package come from.

If it is the difference in the way pty's are used then rebuilding the
kernel or fixing xgterm are both possible solutions.

With luck the pty code in xgterm is set with a make configure thing
and make.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l