scary RAID-1 problems

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Fri Jun 18 14:56:32 UTC 2004

  Well things seem stable now. I can do a complete
shutdown to a powered off state and restart with
the bootloader being found in the MBR now as well
as a warm reboot. At this point I am wondering if
the stage2 error I initially saw might have been
related to the machine attempting to boot off of
the second SATA drive at /dev/sdb in the RAID-1
array (due to the first not coming up for some
reason). If that is the case it would suggest
the Tux Tip for making the second drive bootable
may not really work.
  Also I am still very concerned about this
issue of grub-install not being able to write
the MBR for RAID-1 drives after the initial
installation. This really needs to be addressed
for FC3. Otherwise what options to I have if
my MBR gets managled other than resorting to a
clean install of FC2? Blah.
                       Jack
ps On the positive side I did see the resync of
the two drives after I finally got the RAID-1
to boot again so I know the RAID-1 really works
(grin).