Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jun 18 16:27:51 UTC 2004

At 09:57 6/18/2004, Ed K. wrote:
>As you know, ftp is insecure, but you may have secured the files some
>other way.

Yes, files are pre-encrypted using shared passwords. Besides, stealing ad
copy that's going to be published in a week is not all *that* lucrative. <grin>

>I would suggest using pure-ftpd, it has great anonymous upload features.
>In fact, I use ftp upload too, only because the client requires it.

vsftpd for me. Speed, security, simplicity, and bundled with Red Hat and
Fedora.

>I don't know if FTP supports continuing a disconnected upload attempt.

Just as an FYI, yes, it does.

>Different problems, different solutions.

I know what you mean. In order to cope with technically-inept clients, I'm
thinking of moving to some sort of solution which starts with a web page
where they can follow instructions and "click to insert" their files. I'm
guessing all those options move me to HTTP anyway, right? At least then I
can stick with HTTPS and get a decently secure connection.

Continuing a broken connection (especially for larger downloads or uploads)
has been a godsend to me for years, though.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com