scary RAID-1 problems

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Jun 18 18:07:26 UTC 2004

Jack Howarth wrote:

>Christopher,
>   At this point my main concern is the bugzilla report that
>grub-install doesn't work on RAID volumes and reports an error
>about no md devices being reported by the BIOS. I am very
>unclear on what my options will be (short of a complete
>reinstall of FC2) if I ever have to resort to the linux-rescue
>method again and need to reinstall grub under that. Do you know
>what workaround one would use to reinstall grub after booting
>with linux-rescue?
>                Jack

In answer to your rescue question see
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg04858.html
Just substitute /dev/sda for /dev/hda

I doubt the bugzilla entry is relevant to you.  You at least have grub
installed on /dev/sda since the system boots normally with both drives
present.  If you followed my procedure correctly and did not get an
error doing so, then you should also have a valid grub mbr on the second
drive.

Before you put the system in production I recommend that you do test
booting with only the second drive, and hit a cursor key at the grub
menu to avoid booting the default if you get that far, then power down
to re-connect the first drive.  That way you know the condition of your
production system for handling a disk failure.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021