Problems with medium check for FC2 despite of properchecksum!HELP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 18 20:45:31 UTC 2004

Mark wrote:
> Ok, this is now really getting interesting:
>
> I found a CDROM that was able to pass the media check.
> I used this CD-ROM to copy the CD onto a new empty medium hoping that
> burning it with a different burner on a different kind of medium would fix
> the problem... But I still have the same problem... The new copy fails the
> check again.

Why don't you install using the drive that passed the media check?

Have you changed blank media vendors?  Some drives may have trouble
reading different color media (older drives will have trouble reading
darker media due to the wavelength of the laser used in the drive).

> Is there some other option besides the "ide=nodma" that might help fixing
> this problem and passing the check. I have done this so often before and
> never had a problem! Are these machines going crazy??? (OK, stupid
> question...)

If it's an SMP machine, you might try "noapic".  Also keep in mind that
this is a 2.6 kernel, which is radically different from a 2.4 kernel.
Also do a memcheck--you'd be surprised what you might find.
-      On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say...  oh, somewhere in there.     -