Problems on a Server with Fedora2 and Serial ATA HD

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 23:33:08 UTC 2004

Multisites wrote:
> I will detailed describe a serious problem we are facing with one of our
> servers, and I thank a lot in advance if someone who already
> has experienced such a problem could help us.
>
> Summarizing, we had an email Server running under LINUX, which we replaced
> by a better machine. Instead of having better
> performance and better service levels, we have some error messages besides
> seeing higher load average times and slowing down.

Oh dear.

Unfortunately, you didn't give us much to go on.

> Besides this, dmesg command is showing lots of occurrences of error
> messages like this:
>
> hdg: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> hdg: DMA interrupt recovery
> hdg: lost interrupt

What's hdg? You just mentioned the one IDE drive. I assume that you
have a CD or DVD attached: is that it? (If it is, then honestly, I'd
recommend taking it out altogether and seeing if you get similar
problems in another computer).

If it's a drive that's storing e-mail, then yes, that could well be the
cause of your problems. And you should look at replacing it.

But I can't theorise without data. I've already gone much further than
Sherlock Holmes was prepared to go.

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has
westexe.demon.co.uk    | data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit