FSCK

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 19 03:07:47 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:

>> The easiest way to force your computer to do a filecheck is to run the
>> below command as root.
>>
>> shutdown now -Fr
>>
>> This will reboot your computer, then force a filecheck.
>>
>> Dropping into maint. mode could be caused by trying to mount a volume
>> in /etc/fstab as a type that it is not. I believe setting the last two
>> numbers to anything but zeroes will drop you to the shell.
>>

> You'll be only dropped to maintenance mode if there is a serious error ,
> like wrong filesystem type. The last two numbers are used by dump and
> fsck. From the man pages:

Good catch about the last two numbers and thanks for the informative
excerpt for these values.

I meant to say that setting these numbers on a hard disk which is
attached through usb and included to be mounted through fstab will drop
you to the maint. shell. I set the values to 1 for both values and kept
being dropped to a shell. Someone from an earler list pointed out the
errors in making the entries 1, since usb is loaded after the point that
  fstab comes into play.

>> The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the
>> dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped.
>> If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned and
>> dump will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.
>>
>> The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
>> deter- mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot
>>  time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of
>> 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems
>> within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on
>> different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize
>> parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not
>> present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume
>> that the filesystem does not need to be checked.
>>        The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the
>> routines getmn-
>>        tent(3).
>

>> Run the command mount. This will give you an output with the currently
>> mounted filesystems. I unmount the filesystems that I try to check. I
>> believe that you will be prompted to unmount the partition before
>> fscking.
>>

> Most filesystems require that the filesystem is not mounted before the
> check. Others , like xfs , have the option to check the filesystem if it
> is mounted read-only.

I haven't tried out xfs yet. I might try this on a later install to see
if things are like with xfs. ... thanks for the additional info

--
Artistic ventures highlighted.  Rob a museum.