Adding Linux distro to fstab

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jun 19 03:37:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 16:46 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I've just recently added Fedora Core 2 to a box that was running SUSE
> 9.1.  I want to use Fedora's grub install as the bootloader.  Right now
> I can boot into FC2 but want to add SUSE to the grub.conf file.  SUSE is
> currently installed on /dev/hda1(hd0,0) and FC2 on /dev/hda8.  I also
> want to be able to access the SUSE shares from within FC2 (/dev/hda1 is
> SUSEs /, /dev/hda5 is SUSEs /usr, and /dev/hda6 is SUSEs /home).
>
> My question is what should by /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf files look
> like?

Looks like Peter Boy has what you need for fstab except for adding

/dev/hda6      /mnt/susehome	ext3    defaults        1 2

Well, actually I'd do it like this (different strokes):

/dev/hda1      /suse		ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda5      /suse/usr	ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6      /suse/home	ext3    defaults        1 2

Try adding this stanza to /boot/grub/grub.conf (/etc/grub.conf is a soft
link):

title SUSE
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-<version> ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /initrd-<version>.img

Phil