FC2 - anaconda - bootdisk creation

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 19 04:19:48 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:07:50 -0400
> Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Carnal Ortega wrote:
>>
>>>Phil,  how come I can boot fine with 1 floppy disk into my FC2 system? I
>>>ran mkbootdisk after a fresh install of FC2 and that was all I needed to
>>>do, just like with red hat's of the past. I'm booting into FC2 with the
>>>floppy in the same way I would if grub/lilo were on the mbr so I don't
>>>think I have a streamlined/rescue type kernel on that floppy. All the
>>>modules that need to be loaded at boot time are being loaded. I'm
>>>confused as to why people are saying this is not possible, what am I
>>>missing in this discussion?
>>>
>>>Ps. it's a 2mb floppy
>>>

>>This explains why you are able to make the boot disk.
>>
>>I just tried what Jeff suggested and it created an image that was just a
>>bit larger than a 1.44 floppy. I got the below. This is on an athlon laptop.
>>

>>>rw-r--r--  1 root root 1474560 Jun 17 23:00 /tmp/myboot.iso
>>

> Jim,
>
> That will fit on a 1.44 floppy:
>
> 1474560 / 1024 = 1440K
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Does this mean that my system comes up with the exact value
co-incidentally? Or does this mean that mkbootdisk always tries to make
the image reflect the size of a floppy? Would a larger than 1474560
vmlinuz and initrd fail or cut off the end of the file, post 1474560?

-rw-r--r--   1 root root  190569 Jun 14 21:07 initrd-2.6.6-1.435.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1203768 Jun 14 09:23 vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435

1203768 + 190569 = 1394337

I did the below command and ended up with a larger image.

I burned the disk with the newer iso image, in order to see what was on
the disk. This had the /isolinux directory and the trans.tbl file.

mkbootdisk 2.6.6-1.435 --iso --device /tmp/testboot.iso

Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
[root at jcsevern root]# ls -la /tmp/testboot.iso
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1794048 Jun 19 00:00 /tmp/testboot.iso

Now I have a boot iso! I don't have a built in floppy on this laptop.

Jim