Problems with medium check for FC2 despite of proper checksum!HELP

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jun 19 05:42:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 00:20 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > A workaround would be to loopback mount the iso images, copy them
> > somewhere, and do a network install after adding the isolinux/vmlinuz
> > and initrd.img to grub.conf, or using boot.iso, as outlined
> > in numerous  posts.
>
> Mark replied:
> > Sounds interesting, is there a link to a doc for this?
>
> I'm not sure where you're up to with this. I was starting to write an
> explanation, but http://fedoranews.org/dowen/nfsinstall/ seems to do
> a better job.

Well, I had something more along these lines in mind:

On a server machine (NFS, FTP, ...) with the isos:

# mkdir -p /scratch/FC2/os (customize for your environment)

# mount -ro loop <path>FC2-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/cdrom
# cp -au /mnt/cdrom /scratch/FC2/os
# umount /mnt/cdrom

Repeat for isos 2-4.  Export the /scratch/FC2/os filesystem with NFS, or
use FTP, ...  (Sounds like what William Hooper recommended elsewhere in
the thread.)

Assuming you have a working FC1/RHx with GRUB installed on the target
machine (Looking back over the thread, this may not be the case.  If
not, stop reading now.) do the following on the target machine:

# mount -ro loop <path>images/boot.iso /mnt/cdrom
# cp -a /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinux-install
# cp -a /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-install.img
# umount /mnt/cdrom

Can also fetch the files from the installation tree on server with HTTP,
NFS, or FTP if you don't have a CD image on the target.
Add /boot/grub/grub.conf entry:

title Fedora Core 2 Install
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-install
         initrd /initrd-install.img

Use /boot/vmlinuz-install, etc. if you do not have a /boot partition.

Reboot and pick "Fedora Core 2 Install".

During the install choose NFS or another network install method (or hard
disk if you have the iso images on the local machine).

OR, perhaps you can get the small images/boot.iso to work and start with
that if you don't have a GRUBby system on the target to start with.

Phil