Fedora, Public School budgets, Volunteerism??

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sat Jun 19 17:45:31 UTC 2004

Ken Jones wrote:

> Our Public School district needs VPN, but feels it can not afford it.
>
> I am a retired CISCO Techie with Aurora (Ansel) and Fedora Core1
> networked in my spare bedroom.
>
> I have the idea that I could volunteer my LINUX skills to the District
> (a strict MicroSoft house) by building and maintaining for them a
> software freebie VPN system.
>
> It would seem that with the present budget crunches our public school
> districts, LINUX, plus volunteerism make a natural combo.
>
> Do any of you know others doing anything similar?  If so, please put
> me in touch.
>
> Ken Jones

I expect to be doing that for a local school Union here this summer.
If IPsec VPN is what you are looking for I recommend using FC2.  It is
straight-forward to implement and is working for me in test
environments.  I wrote an OOo Impress document about it which I will be
using at a Linux workshop next Monday.  I'll revise that based on
feedback from the session and share it with the list sometime next week.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021