top

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 19 19:21:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 14:39, Fons van der Beek wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 02:29, Fons van der Beek wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Allthough the new top utility looks very good, I am not able to see all
> > > processes
> >
> > I think you want to press the i key to toggle display of idle processes.
> >
> > I believe that option by default hides idle processes.
> >
> > Check the man page for top it has a much better explanation of that
> > option.  I believe you can also use a -i option when you start top to
> > toggle this at startup.
> >

> I'am really sorry, the overall cpu usage is 95% user and 5% system usage
> But all processes together dont come near the summ ................(also not
> with i pressed)
>
> I realy don't get it.... I'am converting emails, mozzilla, dbmail (mysql
> database) but i don't see them
> i has been pressed, u with blank has been pressed, sorted on cpu % but
> no............I don't get it

Is it always showing 95% utilization? It has been my experience that
many processes on Linux systems are very short-lived; shorter than the
cycle time of top. This is especially true for any machine with a
multi-gigahertz CPU.

When I run make on a large software package, it is obvious from its
output that there are many invocations of the compiler, and the total
CPU usage is quite high, but I may not see any process in top with
greater than 5% CPU. They all (most all) complete between cycles of top,
therefore top will not see those processes. top takes a snapshot of the
system at the time it wakes up. Any process that exits prior to a
snapshot will not be reported by top.

Perhaps you need to look at the rate of process creation: gkrellm can do
this.
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>