Connection problems

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 23:24:49 UTC 2004

Hi,

I currently get my broadband through Blueyonder in the UK. This goes from the cable modem into my router which then distributes around the house.

Since about 11pm on Thursday, I've had connection problems on the linux boxes (this email is via webmail on my RISC PC - which shows by virtue of being able to connect to my webmail account, there is nothing wrong with the router).

I'm getting this

If I use a terminal window and type

ping ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk

This appears

PING ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk (146.87.55.6) 56(84) bytes of data
>From 192.168.2.103 icmp_seq=0 Destination host unreachable

And that's it. The name has been correctly resolved, but nothing else is happening.

I've tried turning off IPV6, moving down a kernel version or two (tried .411 and .422 (I think) with no difference), removed the firewall and done a number of resets. No difference.

The wife is really getting at me over this, so any advice would be helpful.

It may be of some use, but if I alter the network settings using neat and try to reactivate, I get an error SIOADDRT (file already exists). This may have something to do with it, but I doubt it.

Any suggestions as to a remedy or which log file to search to see if I can spot the problem would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts not being able to use my Linux machines online!!!!

TTFN

Paul