FC2 - anaconda - bootdisk creation

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 04:36:28 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:19:48 -0400
> Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Does this mean that my system comes up with the exact value
>>co-incidentally? Or does this mean that mkbootdisk always tries to make
>>the image reflect the size of a floppy? Would a larger than 1474560
>>vmlinuz and initrd fail or cut off the end of the file, post 1474560?
>

> The image will be exactly floppy size even if it is not completely full.
> You can change the size with the --size option.   Take a look at
>
> # man mkbootdisk

This option I noticed while reading the man page for mkbotdisk. I
assumed the default would be for a 1.44 (or 1474560 :-) ) floppy.

>>-rw-r--r--   1 root root  190569 Jun 14 21:07 initrd-2.6.6-1.435.img
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1203768 Jun 14 09:23 vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435
>>
>>1203768 + 190569 = 1394337
>>
>>I did the below command and ended up with a larger image.
>>
>>I burned the disk with the newer iso image, in order to see what was on
>>the disk. This had the /isolinux directory and the trans.tbl file.
>

> As an aside, you don't have to burn these images to see what is
> inside them.   You can mount them using the "loopback" interface.
> Here is an example:
>
> # mount /tmp/testboot.iso /mnt/cdrom -oloop
>
> This would mount the image just like it was burned and sitting
> in the cdrom drive.

Good pointer.
I tried this command and it worked like a charm. It even added an icon
on the desktop for the loop mount.

I am glad that I wasted a disc (given to me anyway) to make the CDR with
the below options. I booted with the burned image and found that I lost
my tapping feature for my laptop. I assume that you would have to type
in the magic incantation during boot to get tapping to work, when
booting from iso or floppy.

>>mkbootdisk 2.6.6-1.435 --iso --device /tmp/testboot.iso
>>
>>Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
>>[root at jcsevern root]# ls -la /tmp/testboot.iso
>>-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1794048 Jun 19 00:00 /tmp/testboot.iso
>>
>>Now I have a boot iso! I don't have a built in floppy on this laptop.

Thanks!

Jim

--
Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.