How to install Intel Corp.|82547GI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Jun 20 11:32:35 UTC 2004

Hameed,

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 13:26 +0300, Abd El-Hameed Mohammed (Use-trade.
com) wrote:
> Hi,
>     I need to support "Intel Corp.|82547GI Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller" on a Fedora 1
> During the setup, it does not detect it automatically. are there any
> guide to how to install a driver for "Intel Corp.|82547GI Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller"  on Fedora core 1?

First a small lecture on posting... :-)

1. Don't send HTML mail - many people seem to have problems with it and
may ignore your message.

2. Don't reply to an existing post and change the subject. This is
called "thread hijacking" and messes up threaded mail readers (check the
full headers and you will find references to the previous subject) and
decreases the chances of your getting help.  Instead start a new thread
by sending a new message.  (As you hijacked your own thread, this may be
a bit confusing.   Guess you must have gotten past the problem with
iso3.)

3. May want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Now - to your current problem.  A google on "82547GI linux" shows lots
of potentially useful links, but my guess (based on "Notes and
Observations" in http://www.linuxtested.com/results/asus_psch-lr.html)
is that you need the e1000 module loaded.  Try putting the line

	alias ethX e1000

where X = 0 if you have no other NICs, or more likely X = N+1 where N is
the highest existing eth device (try ifconfig to see what you have
active if in doubt, eth1 if you have eth0) to /etc/modprobe.conf (or was
that still /etc/modules.conf in FC1?).

Phil