opinions on replacing vsftpd with proftpd?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jun 20 13:24:35 UTC 2004

Am So, den 20.06.2004 schrieb Robert P. J. Day um 15:03:

>    any strong opinions on replacing FC2's vsfptd with proftpd?  on an
> embedded system i'm working on, that system's ftp client had real trouble
> talking to a vsftpd server, but worked fine with proftpd, so making the
> switch just for that reason was a real no-brainer.
>
>    thoughts?
>
> rday

Hi Robert!

My argument for proftpd or pure-ftpd is their capability to use FTP with
TLS. I dislike the idea to send authentification data in plain text
format over the net (LAN or WAN). And using ckermit as a client makes it
really easy to use the encryption. I created a file with a speaking
name, let's say "my.ftp.server", and following content:

SET FTP AUTHTYPE TLS
SET AUTHENTICATION TLS VERIFY OFF
FTP my.ftpserver.tld /user:myusername /password:verysecret

and running then "kermit my.ftp.server" leads to:

Connected to my.ftpserver.tld.
TLS accepted as authentication type
[TLS - DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA      SSLv3 Kx=DH       Au=RSA  Enc=AES(256)
Mac=SHA1
Compression: None
FTP Command channel is Private (encrypted)
FTP Data channel is Private (encrypted)
User myusername logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Default transfer mode is BINARY

From there on you can use the normal FTP commands.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 15:16:42 up 21:03, 8 users, 0.47, 0.53, 0.35