persistent routes

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Mon Jun 21 02:29:46 UTC 2004

Sunday, June 20, 2004 6:47 PM Craig White came back with:
> On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 12:20, Eric Diamond wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. Are you using a route statement in the <tunnel>.conf files or
> > are you using a <tunnel>.up script?

<snip>

> I don't have any route statements in configs but the first
> sample I played with I put this line in it and I think it is
> what whacked me...
>
> #ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
>
> Obviously, I can delete the extra route on eth1 that quashes
> the route on eth0 which I can then add but I can't figure out
> why they persist after reboot (or service network restart)

Well... I'm not sure if that's it or not.

First off, it looks like it's commented out, but even if you issued that
cleanly, it wouldn't change your routing. That's a receive-only
configuration. You would generaly configure an interface like that to
sniff on your network. You can't transmit from an interface with out an
address that is in promiscuous mode.

If you aren't using route statements in the openvpn config files and
aren't calling .up scripts from them, then you must be setting routes in
the interface configurations. If you have gateway settings for each of
your interfaces, then they would be creating persistent, conflicting
default routes.

Please post your openvpn .conf files, your ifcfg-ethX files and the
output of route.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
eric<at>ediamond[dot]net