perl and UTF-8

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 15:38:45 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

> To resolve the problem I needed to edit the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file and
> remove the .UTF-8 from the LANG variable.

This happens very occasionally with makefiles written in Perl. The simplest
solution is to do
export LANG=C
before executing the script.

> I don't think this is a bug in perl.  As such why the insistence that
> UTF-8 be the default?  What does this really buy?
>

> Any chance of getting this changed in future releases?

UTF-8 is the standard now, other operating systems included. It allows you
to read documents written in a variety of different languages - any
language in fact. In RH8 unicode support was a mess, but now it's near
perfect with very few applications not supporting it.

If you find it a pain, by all means change your /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but in
my opinion at least UTF8 should be the default.

Jonathan