perl and UTF-8

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 15:58:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 11:38, Jonathan Rawle wrote:

> This happens very occasionally with makefiles written in Perl. The simplest
> solution is to do
> export LANG=C
> before executing the script.
>
> > I don't think this is a bug in perl.  As such why the insistence that
> > UTF-8 be the default?  What does this really buy?
> >

> > Any chance of getting this changed in future releases?
>
> UTF-8 is the standard now, other operating systems included. It allows you
> to read documents written in a variety of different languages - any
> language in fact. In RH8 unicode support was a mess, but now it's near
> perfect with very few applications not supporting it.
>
> If you find it a pain, by all means change your /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but in
> my opinion at least UTF8 should be the default.
>

> Jonathan

OK, so given that this is the "future", does this indicate that the perl
program is written incorrectly?  There is obviously a problem and I am
trying to understand where it is.

Specifying LANG=C or changing the i18n file seem like workarounds to me
not real solutions, particularly since UTF-8 is the defacto standard
now.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com