burner disappears after update kernel

Marc Wijtkamp marc at linuxpro.nl
Mon Jun 21 16:51:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:21, Jeff Vian wrote:

> Marc Wijtkamp wrote:
>
> >Sadly enough, dmesg says:
> >
> >ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> >hdd: _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> >

> The above indicates hdc is a DVDROM and not a DVD burner

It's a cdrom/dvd burner.. I am very sure about that since everything is
working using the default 2.6.5 kernel. Perhaps kernel 2.6.6 doesn't
support this device?
My other NEC, a cdrom/dvd drive is detected properly. Again, using the
default FC2 kernel there is no problem (eg. K3B is working properly)