perl and UTF-8

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 17:48:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 13:18, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 11:58 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > OK, so given that this is the "future", does this indicate that the perl
> > program is written incorrectly?  There is obviously a problem and I am
> > trying to understand where it is.
>
> Do you...
>
> use utf8;
>
> ?
>
> Rui
Apparently I can not use UTF-8 since it seems to break a number of
things such as certain perl scripts/makefiles.  I can see from the
bugzilla report that Jonathan was kind enough to point me to that this
appears to be an on going issue for a fair number of people.  However it
does not appear to be getting much visibility.  The first time I ran
into this it took some digging to find the workaround.  Now it is almost
the first thing I do on a new system since I am almost assured of having
a problem with it.

And leaves me wondering if UTF-8 is the standard method from now on what
will the workaround break when it is applied to a system?  So far I have
not seen any problems on my systems but someone else that needs that
option may be out of luck.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

In Oz, never say "krizzle kroo" to a Woozy.