problems with mail

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jun 21 21:14:53 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 21.06.2004 schrieb Jeff Vian um 23:04:

> We recently had an extended power outage at a remote site and one of my
> servers was shutdown hard.
>
> After power was restored (3 days later) and it came back up I have been
> having problems with mail.
> I first noticed it when my daily logwatch reports were no longer being sent.
> On further investigation I find that I cannot even send mail from one
> user to another on the same box.
>
> I have done a complete update, replaced procmail and sendmail, rechecked
> all the configs in case something had gotten hosed, and rebooted several
> times as well as restarting services.  Nothing has worked so far.
>
> Does anyone have pointers on where to look for this type problem?

What does the /var/log/maillog say when trying to send a mail locally?
Does the sendmail daemon run (2 processes!)? Please provide us with
error messages or don't you get any feedback when sending a mail? How do
you send? If you send a test mail locally by running something like
"date | mail -s "test mail" recipient at localhost", is that accepted
without any complaint?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 23:11:20 up 2 days, 4:58, load average: 0.26, 0.48, 0.41