no sbin directories in $PATH for root

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Jun 22 12:02:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 03:04:28PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> I've been using debian since 1999, and having the path modified for
> non-login shells seems normal to me.  Is there any drawback where
> modifying $PATH for non-login shells might cause trouble?

Interesting, never realized that since I always used 'su -' also on
Debian, but you're right.
The reason to have su behave as it does is of course compatibility, but
also, it is sometimes useful to become root in the current directory and
environment. Sometimes, but not very often I think.
I guess Debian put path settings in /root/.bashrc or /root/.profile

David