perl and UTF-8

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 22 13:29:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 04:36, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 13:48 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > does not appear to be getting much visibility.  The first time I ran
> > into this it took some digging to find the workaround.  Now it is almost
> > the first thing I do on a new system since I am almost assured of having
> > a problem with it.
> >
> > And leaves me wondering if UTF-8 is the standard method from now on what
> > will the workaround break when it is applied to a system?  So far I have
> > not seen any problems on my systems but someone else that needs that
> > option may be out of luck.
>
> Unfortunately, too many people seem focused into offering the (on the
> long run) bad workaround of changing LC instead of helping to fix the
> unicode bugs :|
>
> They don't seem to understand it's a lot worse to have to deal with lots
> of (potentially unknown) encodings.
>
> Rui

Unfortunately I don't think I fully understand the problem.  As such I
have to rely on others to get this fixed the right way.  Until then at
least there is a workaround.  :)

In the long run I believe the problem will be fixed correctly.  I am
sure there are many different priorities that the people that know how
this works are having to deal with and since this problem does have a
workaround it most likely does not warrant a very high rating in things
that need to be fixed.  (I personally would put wireless issues way
ahead of this one, but that is my preference <GRIN>)

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>