Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.5-1.435 hangs / freezes

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Tue Jun 22 13:59:21 UTC 2004

Clive Long escribió:

> Hi,
>
>    Has anyone, apart from me, experienced Fedora Core
> 2 Kernel 2.6.5-1.435 completely hanging / locking-up
> the machine? No obvious pattern of actions causes this
> problem. There are no error messages before the
> lock-up occurs. The machine keyboard becomes
> completely unreponsive and I have to perform a power
> down, power-up recycle to recover the machine.
>
>     I have not noticed the same machine haging with
> the previous kernel: 2.6.5-1.358

I can confirm this.
I upgraded to the last kernel during the weekend, and I've been
experiencing random lookups in Gnome all the time.
I went back to 2.6.5-1.358, and everything works fine again, so I
suppose it's something kernel-related.

The machine won't die, but it will hang randomly for several seconds or
even minutes. Doing "top" doesn't reveal any doubtful proccess.
Sometimes, killing the X-server and login-in again solves the problem...
'till the next lookup.
During the lookups, I can go back to a text console and work just fine,
so it seems that something in the last kernel is not playing well with
the X-server in some circumstances... At first I suspected of the
gnome-* updates, but the problem goes away if hay boot with the 358
kernel... so I suppose it's not (directly) related with Gnome, but with
the kernel.

I'm running FC2 with all the updates as of Jun 18th, no 3rd party
modules / drivers.

My hardware
- CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
- Mobo: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (nVidia nForce2)
- Video: ABIT Siluro Geforce4 MX *BUT I'm USING THE "nv" standard driver*

Please, If someone gives me some directions, I'm willing to test this in
more detail, in order to provide you with more useful feedback... but I
really don't know how :(

--
Mariano