DDS-4 Tape Drive

John Horne John.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 15:53:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 09:46, dev wrote:

> I am attempting to get a file server up and running for a non-profit org. We
> chose Fedora because of the 2.6 kernel (for Serial ATA support).
>
> We have an internal HP DDS-4 Scsi Tape drive. I have no experience with SCSI
> and don't know where to start to get this device to function. Can someone
> please help me with the basics of where to look to troubleshoot, what kind of
> modules I might need to load etc. I can find very little through google when
> searching for info about this device with Linux.
>
> Any basic pointers as to where to start would be great.

Hi,

We have some HP (and older Compaq) servers with SCSI tape decks in them,
using the HP scsi array controller ('5i', it uses the cciss driver). The
tape decks weren't recognised until we added the following to
/etc/rc.local:

  test -f /proc/driver/cciss/cciss0 && echo 'engage scsi'
              >/proc/driver/cciss/cciss0 2>/dev/null

That's all on one line. Upon rebooting you then get the

   Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

message.

There is info on SCSI tape decks in the kernel source docs, you will
need to install the kernel source rpm for these though. Then look at:

  /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435/Documentation/cciss.txt

Needless to say if you have different hardware then you may need to try
and find the relevant file.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839