RH9 Upgrade to Fedora

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Tue Jun 22 19:18:33 UTC 2004

rayzor at rf3labs.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any issues upgrading RH9 to Fedora? Will it retain current system
> configurations and leave everything intact?

This all depends on exactly what mix of RPM's you have installed, and
what customizations you have made to your system.

If you only have RPM's installed that came from the RedHat 9 Channel,
then you will probably be just fine to do an apt or yum based upgrade.
There might be some configuration file issues that you will have to
manually resolve.  If you haven't made major changes to your system you
should be fine and everything should work with only a handful of minor
tweaks.

If I were you I would go to the AT-RPMs site and get their RedHat 9
kickstart package.  Install it, make sure your RH9 system has no broken
dependencies and get it completely up2date.  (run "apt-get update;
apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade")

		http://atrpms.net/
		http://atrpms.net/install.html
		http://atrpms.net/name/atrpms-kickstart/

Then, after you do that... go back to the AT-RPMS site and get their
kickstart package for Fedora Core 1, upgrade your APT install and
apt-sources.  Then run "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get
dist-upgrade"

Then go back and do the same think to get you to FC2....

I haven't done this before, but I think it will work.